Here is a list of upcoming events and projects that we are looking for volunteer support. Please contact Sophia de Vries, Fund Development Manager, at 815-271-5444, x26 or e-mail her at sdevries@HOSparrow.org for more information.
For on-going volunteering opportunities, please visit our Volunteer page.
Home of the Sparrow
Volunteer Needs and Projects 2014
1. Human Race 5K Walk/Run (Timed Race)
• Sunday, April 27: 7:30am – 10:30am (McHenry Corporate Park)
• Seeking volunteers to sign-up and register to run this race for Home of the Sparrow on April 27 to fundraise for the women and children that we serve. This 4th annual Human Race event includes over 50 social services agencies in the county. Sign-up at http://mchumanrace.org/
• Seeking volunteers to work at our booth at this race. Volunteers will help with promoting Home of the Sparrow’s Zombie 5K Walk/Run in October. Volunteers will be encouraged to dress up as Zombies to promote our walk/run.
2. Phantom of the Opera-Masquerade Gala
• Saturday, May 17: 4:00pm – 10:30pm at the Sanfilippo Estate in Barrington Hills
• Friday, May 16 Event Setup: 9:00am – 2:00pm – will need volunteers to assist with silent auction & raffle basket table setup, table setup, registration and check-in setup, etc.
• Saturday, May 17 Event Day – seeking volunteers to assist with setup, check-in/registration, raffle ticket sales, silent auction, live auction, etc.
3. Fair Diddley
• Sunday, May 18 at the Woodstock Square
• Seeking volunteers to help work at this craft fair fundraising event. Volunteers will be helping with bake sale, registration, shopping bags sales, etc. This fundraising event through the Mental Health Resource League will help raise funds to support the program services Home of the Sparrow offers to the women and children in our shelters. Shifts are available throughout the day.
4. 9th Annual Golf Outing
• Monday, August 25 at Bull Valley Golf Club
• Volunteers to assist with check-in, handing out goodie bags, working gaming holes, silent auction, raffle basket sales, etc.
5. Zombie 5K Walk/Run (Fun Race)
• Saturday, October 25, 2014
• Seeking volunteers to sign up as a walker/runner and “friend raise” through emails and social medias to have family and friends make a pledge.
• Seeking volunteers to help with face painting and dressing runners and walkers up to become zombies.
• Need volunteers to dress as zombies and be in the zombie area of the trail. Zombies will be cheering on runners.
• Volunteers to assist with check-in, handing out t-shirts, logging winners at finish line, judging costume contest, etc.
6. Committee Members
• Looking for volunteers to serve on our events committee to help plan our fundraising events for 2014. We will be hosting four events. Volunteers will help plan the events and also request and collect items for silent auctions and raffle baskets.
• Looking for volunteers to join our Friends of Home of the Sparrow, Barrington. Women’s auxiliary group who puts on fundraising events for our agency. Volunteers can join the group and help plan events.
• Looking for volunteers to head up and start a women’s auxiliary group call Friends West. This group of women will focus on recruiting volunteers and building relationships with local establishments from the western part of McHenry County in order to not cross over with our Friends of Home of the Sparrow group in the Barrington area. This group will help put on 3rd party fundraising events for our agency.
7. Business Partnerships
• Looking for business partnerships to host donation drives or clothing drives at their place of business.
• Develop internship programs for our resident to experience a job area/position. To give our residents exposure or possible job experience in entry level positions.
• Develop and setup employee giving or employee match program for employees to donate to Home of the Sparrow.
8. Shelter/Housing Unit Project
• Seeking volunteers to help with power washing exterior of shelters.
• Spreading mulch and brush cleanup.
• Clear staining play equipment, fence, etc.
• Patching and painting interior rooms.
• Planting perennials, planters, and vegetables.