Here is a list of upcoming events and projects that we are looking for volunteer support. Please contact Sophia de Vries, Volunteer Program Manager, at 815-271-5444, x26 or e-mail her at sdevries@HOSparrow.org for more information.
For on-going volunteering opportunities, please visit our Volunteer page.
1. Thursday Meals
- Thursdays are Home of the Sparrow’s educational programming nights. The classes focus on relationship building, parenting skills, financial skills, and life skills. These classes played an integral part in strengthening the family bond which is critical for families experiencing traumatic situations such as homelessness and prepare our families to become independent and self-sufficient. As part of the curriculum, families share a meal together as the first step in rebuilding their relationship. These meals have been graciously provided by our dedicated community groups and volunteers. Many of you have supported and provided meals for families and they have truly enjoyed them. Our classes are held directly at our McHenry Shelter. Dinners need to be delivered to the shelter by 5:00pm. It would be greatly appreciated for the dinners/beverages to serve around 30-35 people. Home of the Sparrow will provide the plates, utensils, napkins, and cups for meals. Due to limited space we have at the shelter, we can only accommodate about 2-4 serving volunteers per Thursday evening.
2. Committee Members
- Looking for volunteers to serve on our events committee to help plan our fundraising events for 2014. Volunteers will help plan the events and also request and collect items for silent auctions and raffle baskets.
- Looking for volunteers to join our Friends of Home of the Sparrow Barrington women’s auxiliary group who puts on fundraising events for our agency.
- Looking for volunteers to head up and start a women’s auxiliary group call Friends West. This group of women will focus on recruiting volunteers and building relationships with local establishments from the western part of McHenry County in order to not cross over with our Friends of Home of the Sparrow group in the Barrington area. This group will help put on 3rd party fundraising events for our agency.
3. Holiday Giving Tree
- Looking for volunteers or volunteer groups to make paper ornaments for our holiday giving trees in the community. Each of our Sparrrow’s Nest stores will have a giving tree for the community to pull an ornament and purchase a need of our families or a need of the shelters. Volunteers will be able to take their ornaments and help decorate the tree.
4. Holiday Gift Programs
- Seeking Volunteers and groups to host gift card drives for the holiday needs of our families. Our families would like to be able to purchase winter clothes and shoes for the holidays. Gift cards to places like: gas stations, pharmacies, grocery stores such as: Walmart, Target, Meijer & K-Mart. Gift card from clothing stores such as: Kohl’s, Old Navy & Ross, are also needed. By giving the gift of gift cards, moms can purchase what she needs for her family; a small gift for her children and practical items that she would normally go without. We embrace women to take control of their lives and be an active participant in buying that special gift for her child. This would never be possible without the gift of gift cards.
For further opportunities of giving during the Holiday Season, please click here. Please consider our Shelter Wish List during the Holiday Season
5. HOS Ambassadors
- Seeking volunteers willing to attend training to become an ambassador for Home of the Sparrow. Volunteers will represent HOS in the community to speak at chamber events, schools, churches, fair, etc.
7. Business Partnerships
- Looking for business partnerships to host donation drives or clothing drives at their business.
- Develop internship programs for our residents to experience a job/area position. To give our residents exposure or possible job experience in entry level positions.
- Develop and setup employee giving program or employer match programs for employees to donate to Home of the Sparrow.