Here is a list of upcoming events and projects that we are looking for volunteer support. Please contact Sophia de Vries, Volunteer Program Manager, at 815-271-5444, x26 or e-mail her at sdevries@HOSparrow.org for more information.
For on-going volunteering opportunities, please visit our Volunteer page.
1. Shelter Projects
- Volunteers are needed to help with laying mulch, power washing, painting, staining, etc Playsets and Fence.
2. Committee Members
- Looking for volunteers to serve on our events committee to help plan our fundraising events for 2013. We will be hosting three events. Volunteers will help plan the events and also request and collect items for silent auctions and raffle baskets.
- Looking for volunteers to join our Friends of Home of the Sparrow, Barrington. Women’s auxiliary group who puts on fundraising events for our agency. This year will host a women’s luncheon on May 1: Spring Time at the Derby and also another event in the Fall. Volunteers can join the group and help plan these events.
- Looking for volunteers to head up and start a women’s auxiliary group call Friends West. This group of women will focus on recruiting volunteers and building relationships with local establishments from the western part of McHenry County in order to not cross over with our Friends of Home of the Sparrow group in the Barrington area. This group will help put on 3rd party fundraising events for our agency.
3. Fair Diddly at the Woodstock Square
- Sunday, May 19 at the Woodstock Square – seeking volunteers to help work at this craft fair fundraising event. Volunteers will be helping with bake sale booth, registration, shopping bags sales, etc. This fundraising event will help support the program services Home of the Sparrow offers to the women and children in our shelters. Shifts are available throughout the day.
- Sunday 6:am-8:00am, 8:00am -10:00am, 10:00am-12:30pm, 12:30pm-2:30pm, 2:30pm-5:15pm
4. Sanfilippo Estate: “Place da la Musique” Carnaval Gala
- Saturday, June 29 at the Sanfilippo Estate in Barrington Hills
- Volunteers to assist with setup, registration, raffle ticket sales, silent auction, live auction, etc
5. 8th Annual Golf Outing
- Monday, August 26 at Bull Valley Golf Club
- Volunteers to assist with check-in, handing our goodie bags, working gaming holes, silent auction, raffle basket sales, etc.
6. Zombie Walk/Run
- Saturday, October 5 at Three Oaks Recreation Area
- Participants to start a Baxter Team and create a pledge page for “Friend Raising” efforts
- Seeking volunteers to help with face painting and dressing runners and walkers up to become zombies.
- Need volunteers to be zombies and be in the zombie area of the trail. Zombies will be cheering on runners.
- Volunteers to assist with check-in, handing out t-shirts, logging winners at finish line, judging costume contest, etc.
7. Business Partnerships
- Looking for business partnerships to host donation drives or clothing drives at their business.
- Develop internship programs for our resident to experience a job area/position. To give our residents exposure or possible job experience in entry level positions.
- Develop and setup employee giving program for employees to donate to Home of the Sparrow.