Call Sophia de Vries, Volunteer Program Manager, at: 815-271-5444, x26 or e-mail her at sdevries@HOSparrow.org
Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores – Located in Algonquin, Cary, McHenry, Palatine and Woodstock
- Sorting Donations
- Displaying Merchandise
- Sales Assistance
- Customer Service
Office – Located in McHenry
- Administrative Support: Assist with answering the phones, filing, data base entry, and/or bulk mailings. Right now we especially need volunteers who can help answer our busy phones with a “smile in your voice”. Current openings are Mondays 9-1pm or 1-5 pm, Tuesdays 9-1pm and Thursdays 1-5pm.
- Fundraising and Special Events: Serve on a committee for HOS events, sponsor a fundraising project through your local business, school or faith community, work on special projects or at HOS events, or adopt Home of the Sparrow as your charity of choice for your own organization’s special event/fundraiser. Our list of current special opportunities.
- Third Party Events: Develop fundraising project at your local business, school or faith community where proceeds will go to HOS. Join one of our auxiliary fundraising groups and meet new friends and put on exciting and fun events for HOS.
- Community Outreach: Invite HOS representatives to speak to your social, civic, or religious organization. Be a representative of HOS at chamber meetings and events. This can be a very simple but critical way anyone can help us, to get us invited to a group you are part of or know about, so that we can spread the word about our mission!
Shelters – Located in Crystal Lake and McHenry
- Child Care Volunteer: Play, do crafts, sing songs, and guide children 1-2 hours a week (Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday nights 6:45pm-8:15pm).
- Book Buddy: Interact and work with an individual child to instill a love of reading. (Tuesday nights 6:45pm-8:15pm)
- Mentor Volunteer: volunteers will be matched one-on-one with a woman in our shelters. Mentors will provide support for our resident by sharing life experiences, skills, hobbies, etc. Mentors will serve as a role model and a support system for our families. Mentor program is a one year commitment with a minimum of a monthly commitment to meet with mentee.
- Shelter Volunteer: Monitor and supervise the shelter. Oversee interactions between residents when there is conflict. Also seeking a volunteer to work two Saturday overnight shifts per month from 10:30pm- 7:00am for six months at Crystal Lake or McHenry Shelter.
Call us today to talk about how you can volunteer!