Home of the Sparrow’s mission is to provide Hope, Opportunity and Support that empowers women and children as they journey from homelessness to self-sufficiency.
Home of the Sparrow opened its doors as a registered 501(c)3 non-profit homeless shelter in 1987. Today, Home of the Sparrow not only provides Transitional Shelter, but also Affordable Housing and Rapid Re-Housing combined with Supportive Services that address the core issues of homelessness. Home of the Sparrow serves single women, pregnant women and women with children. Approximately 93 percent of the women we serve have experienced domestic violence at some point on their journey. Other reasons for homelessness include unforeseen housing or financial crisis, a death in the family, or a medical emergency. The economy and rising cost of living contribute to unstable housing situations.
On average Home of the Sparrow receives over 2,200+ calls a year from women in crisis. This past fiscal year ending June 30, 2021, we served over 400+ individuals!
Currently, Home of the Sparrow operates:
• A Transitional shelter that can hold 32-40 individuals per night
• 25 Affordable Housing Units throughout Northern Illinois
• 3 Subsidized Apartments for low income individuals who are not ready for permanent housing
• A Rapid Re-Housing Program that assists people experiencing homelessness into permanent housing
• Outreach and Prevention Program with case managers who work with at risk individuals or those who are experiencing homelessness