WHAT TYPE OF FURNITURE DO YOU ACCEPT?
We generally look for gently used bedroom, living room, and dining room pieces. Some office furniture is also accepted.
WHAT ARE YOUR THRIFT STORES’ DONATION HOURS?
Donations are ONLY accepted from 10am-4:30pm, Monday-Saturday. Please DO NOT drop off any donations when our thrift stores are closed. When furniture and other donations are left at our storefronts after regular business hours, those donations sit in unpredictable weather conditions and are oftentimes damaged by the time that the stores open up the next day. Home of the Sparrow also has to pay for extra services to have those damaged donations removed from our storefronts. Please be considerate of the Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores’ and Community Thread’s donation hours. Thank you!
CAN YOU TAKE HOUSEHOLD ITEMS AND CLOTHING?
Although we schedule the truck for furniture pickups, certainly if we are there we can accept other items as well. Please have gently used clothing bagged, and other items boxed to carry. If you have stained/torn clothing that normally wouldn’t make it on our sales floor, please separate them out into a different bag, and mark as such. We are able to recycle clothing items that we are not able to resell. We ask that donations that don’t include furniture be dropped at one of our Sparrow’s Nest locations.
ARE THERE ANY ITEMS THAT YOU CANNOT ACCEPT?
• Any furniture that has tears, stains, holes, fading, broken pieces or missing parts. The furniture needs to be free of water, mold and smoke damage.
• Sleeper sofas (with pull-out beds) and water beds (landlords don’t allow them)
• Mattresses (will accept ONLY brand new in original packaging)
• Beds, bed frames, headboards, footboards, box springs
• Crib regulations that went into effect 6-28-11 have made all but the newest models unacceptable. Please check www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs for more info.
• Upholstered items that have major tears, stains, or sun-damage, and we look for warping of press-board with dressers and other items, etc.
• Exercise equipment
• Any type of computer equipment (such as computers, laptops, printers, monitors, fax machines)
• TV’s more than 5 years old
• Lawn and Garden equipment (lawn mowers, trimmers, snow blowers)
• Hazardous chemicals/materials and paint
• Outdoor grills
• Entertainment centers
• Encyclopedias and Textbooks
DO YOU ACCEPT MATTRESSES AND/OR MATTRESS TOPPERS?
No, we do NOT accept used mattresses. We ONLY accept BRAND NEW mattresses in its ORIGINAL PACKAGING.
Yes, we accept mattress TOPPERS if they are in “NEW” or “LIKE NEW” condition.
Please visit www.mattressinsider.com/blog/mattress-disposal for helpful tips on how to dispose of mattresses.
DO YOU TAKE LARGE APPLIANCES (REFRIGERATORS, STOVES, WASHERS-DRYERS, ETC)?
Although we don’t sell them in the Resale shops, the large appliances we use in the shelters are all donated items. Our families then move to section 8 housing, and usually the landlords provide the appliances. Therefore our needs aren’t great, but we always appreciate an offer, and will check agency-wide to see if a need can be filled. Please call us at 815-271-5444 to see if we currently have a need for large appliances for our housing units within our housing programs.
DO YOU TAKE TVs?
We accept TVs that are 5 years or newer and in perfect working order. All TVs have a date of fabrication printed on the back. Please check before scheduling with us. We no longer offer pickup of TVs unless a furniture pickup has already been scheduled. Please have TV hooked up and ready to show our Logistics Team so they can verify it is in working order. Due to the Illinois E-Waste Disposal Regulation effective 1/1/2012, the Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores will no longer accept donations of electronics which include: stereos, VCRs, DVD players, computers and monitors, fax machines, modems, and older TVs. Thanks for your understanding.
HOW DO I DETERMINE THE VALUE OF MY DONATED ITEMS?
Please see our donation valuation information at the bottom of the page HERE.
CAN I GET A DONATION LETTER FOR TAX PURPOSES?
Click Below to get a printable copy of a donation receipt.