Open Position: Events Coordinator
Status: Hourly & Part-time up to 29 hours a week
Reports To: Development Manager
Job Purpose: To develop, plan, facilitate, organize, and execute fundraising activities, including sponsorship solicitation, auction and raffle solicitation, and event promotion. Collaborate with colleagues to execute projects with a focus on increasing event participation, revenue, and engagement from prospects, donors, volunteers, and other key constituents as it relates to the strategic plan and budget goals. This professional position is designed to create awareness and exposure of Home of Home of the Sparrow to the Community.
• Develop, facilitate, organize and execute existing HOS fundraising events, and create and plan new event ideas as needed. Meet budgetary goals as outlined in overall agency budget.
• Coordinate meetings, and work with volunteers and a wide variety of constituents to execute and promote events and accomplish scope of work. Write up job descriptions for event volunteers, and create event timelines and checklists for smooth and successful events.
• Manage all event information including event budgets, donation forms, auction donation spreadsheets, event management software, ticket sales, online registration, silent auction mobile bidding, guest check-in and check-out out, and donations.
• Secure sponsorships, auction and raffle donations, and increase event attendance by maintaining and establishing new relationships in the community.
• Ensure accurate and timely recording of all donations, gifts and sponsorships. Tabulate and provide attendees and sponsors with donation amounts for tax purposes.
• Work with marketing to develop a timeline for each event, and work with the marketing and development coordinator to create and distribute all marketing and promotional materials, including fliers, invitations, press releases, e-blasts, & social media posts.
• Work with Marketing & Development Coordinator to generate and maintain accurate mail, email and special distribution lists as needed to promote scope of work.
• Compose and edit correspondence and other documents for delivery internally and externally, including donor acknowledgements in a timely and accurate manner.
• Proactively update event records on an ongoing basis and as necessary to ensure accurate information. Fulfill requests for reports for accounting and management. Learn best practices for using the system and teach team members how to accomplish tasks in the event management software.
• Assist with Holiday Gift Program and Giving Trees as needed.
• Assist with community speaking and presentations as needed.
• Assist with volunteer events as needed, including annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner.
• Participate in office-wide endeavors, such as department staff meetings, ad hoc working groups, and other similar activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
• A bachelor’s degree or at least 2 years equivalent experience.
• Excellent public speaking skills required.
• Experience working with volunteers and donors.
• Experience with planning and organizing fundraising events required.
• Strong verbal and writing skills, high attention to detail and follow-up, and excellent organizational skills required.
• Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Constant Contact and event management software.
• An exceptional work ethic and track record of personal initiative required.
• Experience with fundraising or contact management software preferred.
• Willingness and ability to travel to off-site locations to do community presentations and work evenings and weekends when necessary.
• Ability to lift and carry 30lbs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and reach when required.
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Behave ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
• Build relationships: Establish and maintain positive and professional relationships with others, both internally and externally, including volunteers, donors and coworkers.
• Communicate effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Creativity/innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the volunteer program and to create new opportunities.
• Foster teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others, especially the development team, to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions.
• Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results through servant leadership and taking initiative.
• Make decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
• Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
• Plan: Determine strategies to move the volunteer program forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.