Status: Temporary (8 months), Full-Time, Flexible Schedule; 40 hours per week, Mon.-Fri. *Possible opportunity at end of temporary term to be hired as a regular full-time
or part-time employee.
Based at: Home of the Sparrow Headquarters Office at 4209 W. Shamrock Lane, Unit B, McHenry, IL 60050
Job Purpose: This program is designed to prevent or shorten episodes of homelessness through prevention efforts, advocacy, connections with and community resources. The Navigator staff takes calls and provides referrals and follow up for homeless or imminently homeless individuals with the goal of stabilizing them in current housing or assisting them in finding safer living conditions. This program helps clients who have been affected by COVID and are behind in the rent and utilities bills and are at risk for eviction. The Navigator also helps landlord and clients apply for rental assistance.
• Assist clients and landlords in filling at the rental assistance application
• Assist clients and landlords in gather required documentation for the applications
• Provide information to client and landlord regarding program guidelines
• Answer community and client phone calls and emails within 1 business day.
• Assist clients in completing rental assistance applications and required documentation.
• Facilitate connection to local emergency shelters if appropriate.
• Provide advocacy, emergency services and referrals.
• Document client interventions and billing entries in a timely manner.
• Meet monthly set billing targets.
• Network and market program with community landlords.
• Collaborate and coordinate with HOS caseworkers
• Network and market program with other community partners.
• Meet with the Supervisor weekly for supervision, or as determined by the Vice President of Program Services.
• Attend and fully participate in all Team Meetings and scheduled trainings required by agency.
• Relate positively in the community, representing Home of the Sparrow in a positive manner at all times.
• Provide information and statically data reports to the Development Department for grant purposes
Knowledge & Skills:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
• Good working knowledge of community resources.
• Computer and software knowledge
Supervisory Responsibility: None
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
• Balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling and reaching are required.
• Sitting, standing and walking for extended periods of time.
• Bachelor Degree in Social Service
• 1 to 2 years working with high barrier individuals.
• Case management experience
• Good working knowledge of community resources in McHenry County