• The first step to volunteering is to complete our Adult Volunteer Application HERE! Once you complete the application and click ‘submit’ you will receive a confirmation message. Please allow 72 hours for a response from our staff!
Court Ordered Community Service Volunteers
• For court-ordered community service hours, please complete our online Community Service Volunteer Application HERE! Once you complete the application and click ‘submit’, you will receive a confirmation message Please allow up to 72 hours for a response from our staff
• We also need a copy of your court documents indicating your charges and your requirements for community service. Please fax to 815-271-5406 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
***We do NOT accept the following offenses: assault, battery, hitting, fighting, theft, stealing, shoplifting, or fraud.
High School Volunteers
• Are you a high school student between the ages of 14-18? Do you need volunteer hours for NHS, a class or to graduate? If so, it’s easy to volunteer at one of our Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores! Simply click on the corresponding link below to sign up for a spot at a Nest Store close to you! You do NOT need to complete our full adult application. However, you do need to print and complete our Liability, Confidentiality, and Photo Release for Volunteers, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and bring it with you the first time you volunteer.
Please Note: Our High School Volunteer Program is not for Court Ordered Community Service Hours.
Cary Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/WPdsX3
McHenry Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups:: https://signup.com/go/qeGbjHR
Mundelein Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: https://signup.com/go/ynPyuQt
Palatine Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/cagpJw
Third Lake Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: https://signup.com/go/DjDBPvj
Woodstock Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: https://signup.com/go/kpXhOVW
Current Individual Volunteer Opportunites
Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores & Donation Centers and Community Threads Resale Store
- Volunteers at our thrift stores help organize, price, and display donations, assist with sales and provide customer service. We are proud that all the net proceeds from our seven thrift stores stay right here in our community, and directly support our programs and services for homeless women and children.
- Store locations: Arlington Heights, Cary, McHenry, Mundelein, Palatine, Third Lake, and Woodstock.
Mentor Volunteers Needed For Children at our Shelter
• Mentors spend quality time with one to two children at our shelter serving as a positive role model. Mentors will interact with our children during structured activities, offering support, encouragement, and fun. Mentor nights are held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Volunteers may help with one or both nights each week. Volunteers for this role must fill out our online volunteer application and be willing to undergo a background check.
Event Committee Members/Event Day Volunteers
• Event Committee volunteers help plan, market, and implement our special fundraising events throughout the year, including acquiring donations for raffles and silent auctions. This committee also uses their creative flair to help assemble baskets before each event!
• Help at our events with decorations, registration, raffle ticket sales, and the silent auction.
Upcoming Community/Third Party Events
• Visit our Community Events Page to check out the lastest community/third party event opportunities!
• Please consider hosting your own community/third party event! Businesses, clubs, and other organizations can host events to benefit Home of the Sparrow. Funds raised will go to support the agency’s mission. Provides for an excellent community service project for groups to be involved! To hold an event, download our Request Form and email to jkolarczyk@HOsparrow.org
• Home of the Sparrow is always looking for skilled volunteers to help with special projects at our housing units, shelter, thrift stores and headquarters, on an as needed basis. Some of our needs include, but are not limited to, specialists in:
• Computers/IT/Web Maintenance
• General Contractor
• Ambassadors represent Home of the Sparrow in the community by presenting to church, civic, and school groups, and attending volunteer expos, and collection/sorting events. Training will be provided.