Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store & Donation Centers
• Volunteer Today! We have a walk-in policy for volunteers (excluding court-ordered community service). Head to the store closest to you, fill out a quick waiver, and you can make a difference right away! Volunteers at our thrift stores assist with sorting donations, pricing items, and merchandising on the floor.
• Store locations: Algonquin, Arlington Heights, Cary, McHenry, Mundelein, Palatine, Third Lake, and Woodstock.
High School Volunteers
• Are you a high school student between the ages of 14-18? Do you need volunteer hours for NHS, a class or to graduate? If so, it’s easy to volunteer at one of our Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores! Simply click on the corresponding link below to sign up for a spot at a Nest Store close to you! You do NOT need to complete our full adult application. However, you do need to print and complete our Liability, Confidentiality, and Photo Release for Volunteers, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and bring it with you the first time you volunteer.
Please Note: Our High School Volunteer Program is not for Court Ordered Community Service Hours.
Algonquin Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/uRNLQf
Cary Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/WPdsX3
McHenry Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/KN4mpg
Mundelein Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: (no available slots at this time).
Palatine Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/cagpJw
Third Lake Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: https://signup.com/go/DjDBPvj (walk-ins welcome or sign up online, must have waiver).
Woodstock Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: ( no available slots at this time).
Mentor Volunteers Needed For Children at our Shelter
• Mentors spend quality time with one to two children at our shelter serving as a positive role model. Mentors will interact with our children during structured activities, offering support, encouragement, and fun. Mentor nights are held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Volunteers may help with one or both nights each week. Volunteers for this role must fill out our online volunteer application and be willing to undergo a background check.
Event Committee Members/Event Day Volunteers
• Event Committee volunteers help plan, market and implement our special fundraising events throughout the year, including acquiring donations for raffles and silent auctions. This committee also uses their creative flair to help assemble baskets before each event!
• Help at our events with decorations, registration, raffle ticket sales, and the silent auction.
Upcoming 3rd Party Events
• Visit our 3rd party events page to check out the lastest 3rd party event opportunities!
• Please consider hosting your own 3rd party event! Businesses, clubs, and other organizations can host events to benefit Home of the Sparrow. Funds raised will go to support the agency’s mission. Provides for an excellent community service project for groups to be involved! To hold an event, download our 3rd Party Event Request Form and email to jkolarczyk@HOsparrow.org
• Home of the Sparrow is always looking for skilled volunteers to help with special projects at our housing units, shelter, thrift stores and headquarters, on an as needed basis. Some of our needs include, but are not limited to, specialists in:
• Computers/IT/Web Maintenance
• General Contractor
• Ambassadors represent Home of the Sparrow in the community by presenting to church, civic and school groups, and attending volunteer expos, and collection/sorting events. Training will be provided.