Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store & Donation Centers
• We can always use more help at our seven Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores. Please encourage your friends, family and neighbors to volunteer with Home of the Sparrow! Help with sorting donations, pricing items, and merchandising on the floor.
• Store locations: Algonquin, Cary, McHenry, Mundelein, Palatine, Third Lake and Woodstock.
High School Volunteers
• Are you a high school student between the ages of 14-18? Do you need volunteer hours for NHS, a class or to graduate? If so, it’s easy to volunteer at one of our Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Stores! Simply click on the corresponding link below to sign up for a spot at a Nest Store close to you! You do NOT need to complete our full adult application. However, you do need to print and complete our Liability, Confidentiality, and Photo Release for Volunteers, have it signed by a parent or guardian and bring it with you the first time you volunteer.
Please Note: Our High School Volunteer Program is not for Court Ordered Community Service Hours.
Algonquin Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/uRNLQf
Cary Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/WPdsX3
McHenry Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/KN4mpg
Mundelein Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/qfWmUz
Palatine Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/cagpJw
Third Lake Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/bwvBWBT
Woodstock Sparrow’s Nest Thrift Store – High School Student Sign-ups: http://signup.com/go/wL5Rba
Event Committee Members/Event Day Volunteers
• Event Committee volunteers help plan, market and implement our special fundraising events throughout the year, including acquiring donations for raffles and silent auctions. This committee also uses their creative flair to help assemble baskets before each event!
• Help at our events with decorations, registration, raffle ticket sales, and the silent auction.
Upcoming 3rd Party Events
• Visit our 3rd party events page to check out the lastest 3rd party event opportunities!
• Please consider hosting your own 3rd party event! Businesses, clubs, and other organizations can host events to benefit Home of the Sparrow. Funds raised will go to support the agency’s mission. Provides for an excellent community service project for groups to be involved! To hold an event, download our 3rd Party Event Request Form and email to kknighton@HOsparrow.org
• Home of the Sparrow is always looking for skilled volunteers to help with special projects at our housing units, shelter, thrift stores and headquarters, on an as needed basis. Some of our needs include, but are not limited to, specialists in:
• Computers/IT/Web Maintenance
• General Contractor
Child Care Program Volunteers Needed
• Do you enjoy working with children? We are looking for a few more volunteers to help out on a rotating basis in our Child Care Program, which is held on Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 pm, while the moms are in their weekly Education Program. Volunteers spend time with the kids playing games, doing crafts and being a positive role model in their lives.
• Ambassadors represent Home of the Sparrow in the community by presenting to church, civic and school groups, and attending volunteer expos, and collection/sorting events. Training will be provided.